My blog has taken on a more serious note lately and trust me, I am just as surprised as anyone. I guess sometimes life is about more than just cupcakes. Sometimes.
I have to share this little story because frankly I think the world needs more honest stories about r.e.a.l people. This isn't a Hollywood script filled with scandal and dramatic romantic gestures. This is a story about true love.
It's a story about 6 minutes.
This is a story about a man and a woman who have lived good honest lives together for over 65 years. He was a doctor. She was a housewife. He is my grandpa. She is my grandma.
He has been sick for a while now.
On the 4th of every month, they get a social security check. My grandpa knew he had to keep living to the 4th of every month to get his check. I would ask how we was doing and he'd respond "I'm ok Stefi, I just need to make it to the 4th so your grandma can get that check. I don't want to leave her with out the money."
We assured him we would take care of her and he didn't need to worry. But he didn't care. He didn't care about the pain in his bones, he cared about her. He wanted to take care of her.
Yesterday, June 3 he didn't have much time left. We all knew.
We all told him it was ok to die. Just let go Grandpa, its ok. We love you.
But he wouldn't. He laid in bed holding on.
Until 12:06 am when he passed away.
6 minutes into June 4th.
This isn't a story about money and social security checks. It's a story about holding on to take care of someone you truly love.
It's a story about 6 minutes.
That's who my grandpa was. He took care of people.
He loves my grandma. And she loves him.
He loves my grandma. And she loves him.
I love him too.
Grandpa and me at age 3
I'd by lying if I said I wasn't tearing up right now. I love your grandparents.
ReplyDeleteStefi that was beautiful. I'm so sorry about your loss I remember your grandparents very well and there great hospitality every time I came over to play. Sending my love to you and your family <3.
ReplyDeleteLove, Lucy
Oh my goodness, that's sweet.
ReplyDeletei love this story so much and i'm really happy you shared. That's true love right there.
ReplyDeleteThat was the sweetest story. I'm sorry for your loss. I love grandparents.
ReplyDeletethinking of you and your family! Loved your grandpa and all of the great memories we had with your family. Let me know if there is anything you need!
ReplyDeleteThat's such a sweet story. Sorry about your loss, Stef, I hope you and your family are doing ok.
ReplyDeleteOh my word, I am bawling right now. That is seriously the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.
ReplyDelete