August 20, 2010

My kind of place.

Hauling 4 50 lbs bags, 2 carry-ons and 2 purses on foot from Reagan airport to my new humble abode was easily the worst experience of my life. We were dripping sweat....dripping. I don't do dripping.

But there were some good signs along the way...
1. Our metro ride was free because we had to use the handicap elevator because our bags wouldn't fit up the escalator. Turns out no one was watching the handicap entrance and so we took a run for it. And no, I don't feel guilty about 2 free metro rides. Stick it to the man.

2. The first sight I see after stepping off the metro was the white shining sign of NORDSTROM. This city was made for me.

3. A tall dark and handsome man goes running by my mom and I as we are dripping with sweat hauling our gear down the sidewalk. He stares at us fools and then asks if he can help. He asks my mom if he can carry one of our suitcases for us. Then he proceeds to come and take one of mine off my hands. Turns out he's a fellow GW grad student and told me he'd "see me around campus." Sounds great to me.

3. Found the perfect pink accessories for my new room and ruffle pillows to match my living room.

4. Discovered I have a pool, lobby man and gym in my complex. Pleasant surprises.

5. At dinner this boy walks up to me and tells me he saw me moving in. Granted he didn't bother to help me move my 50 pound bag up the stairs, but he was chatty and friendly enough. He told me he'd take me to his hometown of Hilton Head, SC and I just might take him up on that offer.

Although I'm still slightly moist from this lovely new feeling called humidity, I think I can start calling this place home.


Welcome to DC folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment